2WAP

The Nest Collectors

2 replies 82 views
Then the circuit tripped, and under alley stars above the breaker box, I found the twig nest with bits of hatchling shell. I considered the one- note hum one's home makes, the murmur of watt and want the nestlings fledged above, forming their own warble from need-cry. Once at a wedding's banquet, my father, so often frugal, spoke on the extravagance of the first course, of the trellises, in sea caves in China, centuries-old and twine-tethered by nest collectors. Shouldering gunnysacks damp with spindrift, they forage the swift nests for the blood-spittle that binds twig to twig and is a delicacy seasoning a soup's broth. I looked for what bound my nest but found nothing for profit or to pawn, though in my hand it was round as a pocketwatch—a pocketwatch with fob that once tethered a bird. Mason of the avian, father said, sipping from his Seven and Seven. Then the sea bass came with slivers of scallion. We used our soup bowls, discreetly, for the bones.

Log in or join to reply.